New Level Available Now! Take on the Forest
It has been a little while seen the last update but we are back with a Major Update. The update includes a New Playable Area (The Forest) with New Bodies to Usurp, as well as several other improvements and bug fixes.
- New Level: Now you have access to The Forest with enemies/bodies to posses and several new weapons to use, and most importantly, new stuff to break. The area is accessed through the HUB. But you will need to be level 8 or above to be able to enter.
- Usurp Menu Redesign: Usurp menu is redesigned to look easier on the eyes as well as easier to navigate. Each body is seen in full and the weapons each body hold are seen as well to help decide which one to choose.
- Faster attack animation rates : Attack animations are adjusted to create a smoother combat experience.
- Vendor Menu Navigation: Auto scrolling is removed when using keyboard and mouse so you can use mouse wheel to scroll the menu without interference. Auto scrolling speed reduced to a comfortable speed for controller.
- Stat-Screen Update: Player stat-screen in Usurp Menu is less cluttered now as some of the less useful information is removed.
- Skill points left in level: As more than one portal is accessible in the HUB, the number of skill points in each level is shown to help players decide which level they want to travel to next.
- Stamina Not Used Outside Combat: This allows players to sprint when not in combat so they can navigate the dungeons faster when not fighting.
- Fixed – Ranged enemies would not be staggered by lightning. Now they do, unless they have a magical shield.
- Fixed – On usurping a new body, all weapons would carry over from previous body regardless of the new bodies weight carry limit. Now the weapons over the limit are dropped on the floor.
- Fixed – Changing weapons with controller would happen very fast and result in jittery animation. Now the speed is limited to create a more smooth experience.
- Fixed – Dash animations were the same for all weapons. Now weapons have their own dash animation.
- Fixed – Sprint animations for Mage and Knight were not correct. Now they are fixed to look as they should.
- Fixed – Sometimes death animation was not played on enemy death.
Usurper: Soulbound Update
Here comes a list of changes since the last update including a new special shield, guard counters and various bug fixes. See below for more info:
- New Special Equipment: yet another special equipment that can be found in the dungeons. So far all special equipment have been weapons but this one is a shield.
- Guard Counter: Speaking of shields, you can do a guard counter with you shield now (you can probably tell which game I have been playing a lot of lately). When blocking, you can now do a powerful counter by attacking right after a hit is blocked.
- Attack Animation Improvements: A couple of different weapons attack animations have been tweaked to make them faster and feel more impactful.
- Change weapons button: Change weapon button on game-pad was mapped to D-Pad down before which would make it difficult to switch weapons mid combat. Now it is mapped to right sick down which should make this much easier.
- Fixed – When shield would absorb damage and lose durability, in the button left corner of the screen , this would be reflected on the equipped weapon. Now the equipped shield icon is shown.
- Fixed – Player would rotate sometimes rotate to a random direction after lock off from a target.
- Fixed – Player could do parry counter without parrying an actual attack. Now you have to parry the attack to do the parry counter.
- Fixed – Player would rotate upwards sometimes when they used the Mighty Sword special ability.
- Fixed – Damage feedback would not show when enemy was not staggered by an attack. Now it does regardless of enemy stagger state.
- Fixed – Tutorials would be shown repeatedly in the prologue area. Now they are shown only once.
Usurper: Soulbound Update
Here comes the next patch which includes a bunch of new features such as a new Dungeon Mini Boss and a special Easter Egg to prepare for the upcoming holidays. See below for more info.
- New Dungeon Mini Boss: An even bigger dude to replace the previous big dude as the second floor mini boss.
- New Easter Egg: As the Easter holidays are almost here, a new Easter Egg room with a unique weapon has been added in the dungeons. I think many of players would recognize and enjoy this one but I don’t want to spoil it more (hint: look at the update image carefully).
- Secret Reveal Scroll : And to help players find the Easter Eggs and other secret, Mini Bosses now have a chance of dropping a scroll on death which reveals the location of a secret in the dungeon.
- New Poise System: Aside from regular damage, players now take poise damage from enemy attacks which affects them differently based on how much poise they have. Poise can be increased by possessing bodies with higher poise or using magic.
- Kick poise damage adjustment: Previously kick would throw back all enemies except mini bosses. Now based on player poise and enemy resistance stats they might be just staggered and not thrown.
- Poise Buff Spell: New magic scroll that temporarily increase player poise damage on for all attacks.
- Fixed – Weapon sometimes would take twice or more damage on a single hit which would make them break quickly. Now weapons take damage only once time per hit.
- Fixed – Boss doors in floor 2 would not show their level requirements.
Usurper: Soulbound Update
Here comes the first update of 2022. As you might have noticed Santa had stayed in the HUB world a bit longer than he should have. The truth is he wanted to leave earlier but I was unfortunately pretty sick and could not send him on his way. But I am back on my feet and have sent Santa on his way.
Even though Santa is gone, the candy cane weapon that was introduced in the previous patch is still available. Players that got the weapon from Santa get to keep it. And for new players it can be found in one of the Easter Egg Rooms in the dungeons.
- Gestures: Players can now use gestures which is especially fun when fighting a friend. You can trigger them by pressing the “x” on the keyboard or “select” button on the controller. At the moment there are only two but more will be added in future updates.
- Special weapons: These are unique weapons that can be found in special rooms in the dungeons that require some exploration to find. So far there is one such weapon which is Santa’s Candy cane but more weapons will be added in the coming updates.
- Equipment carry over: This is something that was added in a previous patch that was not announced so it will be mentioned here. Previously you would lose your weapon on usurping a new body but now they carry over.
- Summoned player attributes: Previously the second player would get full health and usurp might on summon. But now it will get the same amount as the main player to balance the game.
- Double shields: Fixed issue with player having a shield stuck in their head when usurping a body with a shield when they already had a shield
Surprise! Look who has come by for a visit. And he has a some special gifts for you too. So go find him and see what he has in store for you 🙂
Other than Santa coming to town with his gifts there is actually not much else new in this update, other than a bug fix (see below), but I think it still deserves to be a major update as it is the last update from us in 2021. Wish you all great holidays.
Bug fixes: If mage enemy attacked while in slow motion, his projectile would remain in slow motion even afterwards. Issue is not fixed.
Usurper: Soulbound Devlog #3
Early Access Release
So “Usurper: Soulbound” was finally released on Steam Early Access. In this video, I will talk about how we experienced the release process and try to be as open as I can about what went down and how I felt during the process.
Major Update! Combat Improvements and More
Here comes the next update based on player feedback. Since there are some major changes done, feel free to comment here if you have any feedback on the changes or find something you want to report.
- Easier targeting of enemies nearby
- Players can now directly target agro enemies with a button press
- Auto-adjustment of the number of enemies per each encounter based player style
- Improved auto-aiming while playing unlocked
The “frustrating” all GP lost on shrine activation is no more:
- So now you get to keep all your GP on shrine activation and go back to HUB to spend all that sweet gold you have gathered. Instead you will lose the remaining GP you have not spent when entering you next run.
Easter eggs (work in progress):
- We are working on adding easter egg artifacts into the dungeon, paying homage to the games that we love and have been influenced by. This is still a work in progress but you can find some signs of things happening if you search the dungeons carefully.
- We have moved Usurper: Soulbound to the latest version of Unreal Engine. This affects mostly behind the scenes stuff rather than gameplay but should improve performance on lower end machines, if not blame Epic Games
- Increasing stay time for enemy drops so it takes longer for them to vanish
- Explanation for red dots added to dungeon map guide
Update! New Game Plus
New Game Plus is here! After finishing the early access content players unlock and can continue playing the game in New Game Plus mode.
There are also some other minor improvements such as changing the animations for magic dagger while using a shield to faster ones and changing some enemy placements in the dungeon second floor.
Usurper: Soulbound will release on Early Access 2nd of November
We at Caspian Interactive proudly presents our upcoming roguelite action RPG Usurper: Soulbound will launch November 2nd in Early Access on Steam for Windows PC.
“Absorb my power and glory shall be yours.” – The Usurper King
Usurper: Soulbound is a challenging Souls-like game where players are trapped without a physical body in a horrifying dimension and must possess the bodies of their enemies and other heroes alike as they fight their way back. Use the power of the Usurper to fight your way through horrifyingly beautiful planes of existence and possess your enemies to undo what has been done.
“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.” – H.P Lovecraft
- Action RPG experience with tough but fair Souls-like combat
- Enjoy the game in great company with local co-op!
- Unique usurping ability to possess enemies and gain new abilities
- Mix of hand-crafted and randomly generated environments
Why Early Access?
It all started in 2018 when a programmer and a 3D artist started communicating over Facebook about their common interest and love for the Souls-Like genre and how they would like to make their own game paying homage to the genre. Since then the idea has evolved to the roguelite action RPG Usurper: Soulbound. Our public demo has received a lot of positive feedback so far however as a team of two people working on Usurper, we have our shortcomings and we believe getting the players involved during the development process sooner rather than later and developing the game through feedback is the best way of making sure we can give them the best experience possible.